The notorious boss is back, and it’s over to trainers to work out how to beat Giovanni.
If you’re looking to fight Giovanni for any of the legendaries he uses in Pokemon Go, you’ll know about his opening act with Persian by now. But who else is joining him in the August 2022 lineup?
Which Pokemon will trainers be battling and what are the best counter moves? Let’s take a look below at everything we need to know.
How to beat Giovanni – The Line-Up
Every battle against a Team Rocket Leader is divided into 3 phases, with Giovanni being no exception.
Giovanni will always open battle with Shadow Persian. Trainers will then progress to the 2nd round, where they will need to defeat either Shadow Nidoking, Shadow Machamp, or Shadow Rhyperior. And last but not least, in the third round, Giovanni is joined by Shadow Latios.
Giovanni Counters – August 2022
Persian is weak against fighting types and resistant to ghost-type Pokemon. Persian is relatively easy to defeat, as the Boss warms up ready for round 2.
The following Pokemon will prove the most successful for trainers to use:
- Lucario – Counter and Power-up Punch
- Melmetal – Thundershock and Thunderbolt
- Machamp – Counter and Cross Chop
- Breloom – Counter and Dynamic Punch
- Terrakion: SmackDown and Rock Slide
READ MORE: Pokemon Go Ditto disguises August 2022
Nidoking is a Poison/Ground type Pokemon, making it weak to Ice, Ground, Psychic, and Water-type attacks.
The following Pokemon will provide the best attacks to defeat Nidoking:
- Mewtwo – Confusion and Psystrike
- Garchomp – Mudshot and Earth Power
- Alakazam: Confusion and Psychic.
- Azelf: Confusion and Future Sight.
- Hoopa Unbound: Confusion and Psychic.
Machamp is a Fighting type Pokemon, meaning he is weak to Fairy, Flying, and Psychic-type moves.
The following Pokemon will provide the best attacks to help defeat Machamp:
- Mewtwo – Psychostrike and Psystrike
- Togekiss – Charm and Psyshock
- Sylveon – Charm and Moonblast
- Rayquaza – Air Slash and Aerial Ace
Rhyperior is a Ground/Rock-type Pokemon, making it weak to Grass and Water-type moves. It’s also weak to Fighting, Ground, Ice, and Steel-type attacks.
The following Pokemon will provide the best attacks to help defeat Rhyperior:
- Roserade – Razor Leaf and Solar Beam
- Swampert – Mud Shot and Hydro Cannon
- Kyogre – Waterfall and Surf
- Zarude – Vine Whip and Power Whip
How to beat Giovanni in the final stage – Shadow Latios
Shadow Latios is a Psychic/Dragon-type Pokemon, making it weak to Bug, Dark, Dragon, Ice, Fairy, and Ghost-type moves.
In order to defeat Shadow Latios, and ultimately beat Giovanni, the following Pokemon are best used to counter Shadow Latios:
- Diagla – Dragon Breath and Draco Meteor
- Garchomp – Dragon Tail and Outrage
- Gengar – Shadow Claw and Shadow Ball
- Palkia – Dragon Tail and Draco Meteor
And that’s it! Once Shadow Latios is defeated, trainers have then beat Giovanni for another month. Good luck trainers!